Thursday, January 29, 2009

Kid Comments on Culture

Every so often I try to bring a little "culture" into my children's lives.


By their own choice they only listen to contemporary Christian music. Although I don't listen to much rock-and-roll myself these days, I know about music history, and I think it's a reasonably valuable thing to know. What was the music of the day and what meaning did it have for its time and how does music today follow in that tradition? What was going on in the 60's and how did the music speak to people dealing with issues such as the Vietnam War?

Also, I see it as a generational thing. I always thought it was cool to listen to 50's music when I was a kid because it gave me a feeling for what my parents' highschool years were probably like - made me feel like I knew more about them. I'm not sure I want my kids learning about me through Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, but hey . . .And . . . well . . . you know . . . if they ever want to be on Jeopardy! they just gotta have some of this "cultural" knowledge.

Sometimes they are receptive and interested, sometimes not so much, but there are almost always interesting comments from them. I came across some music from my early childhood on YouTube, was listening to it; they could hear it too: California Dreamin,' House of the Rising Sun, and Spirit in the Sky.

Caleb (11) said, "I'm glad I didn't live back when they had such scary music."

Anthony (16) was interested when Spirit in the Sky was playing because it mentioned Jesus, and he's into Christian music. When I told him - jokingly - that maybe I should have that played at my funeral since I am a child of the 60s and 70s he said:

"Aren't we all."

I have no idea what he meant!!

The following "scary" music is posted for your reference:

No comments: