Friday, August 18, 2006

Romance and Camels

No . . . you read it right. It DOES say “Romance and Camels” not “Romance and Candles.”

(Although the second certainly makes more sense, doesn’t it? Well, at least to most people it does!)

As a dreamy-eyed teenager I used to imagine what it would be like to fall in love. The central part of that dream was that the man I loved would read me poetry (well, duh!). Eventually I did fall in love, but somehow this guy never got the idea he should be reading me poetry. Shocking! Unbelievable!

After we’d been dating a few months I felt comfortable enough to address the issue and say, “It would be so meaningful to me if you would read me poetry.” To my surprise he got up off the couch immediately and without a word and headed towards the bookshelf. I closed my eyes in anticipation of THE supreme pinnacle of romanticism, my dearest wish, and the centerpiece of my dreams.

He returned, sat down, and began to read:
They’ve put a brassiere on the camel,
She wasn’t dressed proper, you know.
They’ve put a brassiere on the camel
So that her humps wouldn’t show.
And they’re making other respectable plans,
They’re even insisting the pigs should wear pants,
They’ll dress up the ducks if we give them the chance
Since they’ve put a brassiere on the camel.


They’ve put a brassiere on the camel,
They claim she’s more decent this way.
They’ve put a brassiere on the camel,
The camel had nothing to say.
They squeezed her into it, I’ll never know how,
They say that she looks more respectable now,
Who knows what they’ve got in mind for the cow,
Since they’ve put a brassiere on the camel.


(poem & image from “A Light in the Attic” by Shel Silverstein)


I still married the guy . . .



. . . and it’s the best decision I ever made!


Post Script: After 19 years of marriage I have come to realize that a sense of humor is MUCH more important than a sense of romance.

Post Post Script: NEVER close your eyes!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This post, while hilarious, does actually make me stop and think. I have so many ideas of what my future husband ought to be like, and maybe some of things on my list really aren't that important for a wonderful marriage. Thanks for the reminder to stay open-minded because the man I marry might not exactly fit my mental image. :)