Thursday, September 27, 2007

Bedtime Snacks

In the face of my distress at the ever-shrinking margins of my life at least I have found good bedtime reading.

My bedtime stories currently are being taken from the essays of Robert Fulghum, best known for his book Everything I Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten. I read him in the late 80's and early 90's. I'm so glad to have rediscovered him.

His stories are made up of the things of everyday life but can be profound in their simplicity.

I find I sometimes really lose life in the details and deadlines of keeping up with my own teaching and studies and also running around like mad getting my offspring to all the things they are keeping up with and perhaps even trying to find a 15 minute span in there somewhere in which to have dinner (which finally happened tonight at 10:30pm). Reading Fulghum at bedtime slows me down and brings my focus back to Life (with a capital L).

Another bonus is that the chapters are all separate essays and are all short - just a bite-sized bedtime snack - wholesome and zero calories.

Ahh - perfect!

No comments: