Saturday, August 08, 2009

No Such Thing As a Free Lunch?

Well, that's how the old saying goes. My hubby surprised me yesterday. I found out he'd written a letter to the editor but only after it was published. He picked up on this theme of a free lunch, and I think it's worth sharing broadly.

There is such a thing as a free lunch! During the summer, free lunches are handed out on weekdays for children under 18 at our local city park. During these daunting days of trying to provide for our families and save precious pennies in any way we can, a free lunch is a pretty generous gift and something not to be taken for granted.

However, I would encourage parents to provide for their children in a way that I believe is just as important as filling their bellies with a good healthy meal. The trash that was left behind all over the hillside when lunch was over tells me that kids are not being modeled the virtues of gratitude and responsibility. Enjoy that wholesome meal and then take advantage of the opportunity to remind your children that one way to show thanks for this generous program is to leave the park even cleaner than it was when you arrived.

Thanks in advance for keeping our parks clean.
David Meyer
Well said, hubby!

No comments: