Sunday, July 01, 2007

A Puzzle

Here is a puzzle for you. I will post answers in the comment section in two weeks.

The puzzle is to decipher the symbols on the image below (click to enlarge).


To get you going in the right direction, let me tell you this is a score card from a simple card game (Rook), which is based on bidding and the winner of the bid choosing the suit (color) that is trump and calling a partner.

A score card could simply consist of the players names with a running total of points below, but, my husband, like his father before him, has turned score keeping into an art form - recording every bit of minutiae possible.

Can you determine what all the extra symbols mean - the stars and o's and lines and letters and plusses and minuses and any other extraneous markings you see? They all have meaning and are not just doodles.

When we get back from Colorado in two weeks, I'll check the comments to see how you did!

2 comments:

Tony said...

way...too...easy...! Any logical mind that is a decendant of Norm should beable to recognize this!

Heidi said...

OK, Tony, because I know you so well, I do believe you can do this - although, I must admit it took me a while to figure out NP and P.

For the rest of you, here are the answers (left to right as much as possible):

B with a box around it means "bidder."

P with a circle around it means "partner."

Stars indicate the person(s) in the lead.

o's near the score indicate the person(s) in last place.

Some of the stars and o's have been connected by lines (solid or dotted), in order to more visually trace where the lead and loss is through time.

On the left under the heading "bid:"

The circled initial is the person dealing.

- or + indicate whether the person made the bid or not.

D, M, H, K, and A are the initials of the players and indicate who took the bid that hand.

The number behind the initial is the bid.

R, G, Y, B indicate the color of the suit called to be trump.

Behind that where there is a number and one of these letters is indication of what card was called as partner.

NP means "No points in the kitty." (The person who takes the last hand gets any points in the kitty.) P means there are points in the kitty.

The column of numbers on the far right-hand side of the page is the number of points the bidder and his partner took.

At the bottom of the page is the signature of the winner: Grandpa Mickey.

Well, I thought I had it all, but as I look back, I notice under the name headings some boxed E's connected to P's and some circled c's with a slash through them.

I played the game, and I don't know what these mean. Can you help me Tony (or anyone else)??