Thursday, March 10, 2011

Seeking Your Input!


I always want to keep my classes lively. A topic coming up in my liberal arts math class is logic - you know, reasoning and statements and syllogisms and truth tables and so on. As I cover this topic I want to bring in some attention-grabbing, interesting items from popular culture. For instance there is the "Battle of Wits" in the movie The Princess Bride; there is the Ferry Scene in Batman: Dark Knight; there is a scene in the 1986 movie Labyrinth, where the heroine has to decide what door to choose (see clip at bottom of post).

There are examples in literature as well, what comes most immediately to mind is Lewis Carroll's work in Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass. There are the writings of philosopher, mathematician, pianist Raymond Smullyan.

I'm looking for any well-known books, movies, commercials, cartoons, comics, poems, games, and/or other items that involve logic puzzles in any way in order to bring this to life for my students - whether you are a math teacher, a student who saw something cool in class, or someone who has just come across something along these lines, please send it on to me in the comments section!

THANKS!!!


No comments: