Sunday, March 07, 2010

Calculus of Friendship

As soon as the semester ends, and I have time to read again, I am looking forward to reading this book that recently came to my attention. It is about mathematics and relationships - specifically the relationship between a math professor and his high school math teacher, the change in role from teacher/student to former teacher/professor. Calculus is a study of change, so the title reflects both mathematics and relationship.

This came to my attention on NPR's Science Friday a couple of weeks ago on which the author was interviewed. It was a pretty fun interview with interesting comments from callers about mathematics and the teaching of mathematics - kind of got me excited again in the midst of this overwhelming semester in which I was kind of losing my passion. If you'd like to listen in too, the link is:

http://www.sciencefriday.com/program/archives/201002262

No comments: