Friday, July 10, 2009

Happy 500th Birthday JC!




Born Jean Chauvin on July 10, 1509, John Calvin celebrated his 500th birthday today. Well, actually, we celebrated for him - a lovely little event at Calvin College. I think Calvin would have been pleased. (I'd be pleased if someone celebrated my 500th birthday in 2465!)The celebration was both serious and light. We began by singing a hymn from the Geneva Psalter (I Greet Thee, Who My Sure Redeemer Art). We sang acapella in unison on the first verse and harmony on the remaining three. The sound was amazing coming from a varied collection of people many of whom were sitting on the gym floor. This was followed by a video presentation depicting Calvin roaming the halls of Calvin College, having fun hitting golf balls off the roof of the science building, playing frisbee, etc. - quite a lively guy for 500!

No comments: