Monday, January 22, 2007

PLEASE HELP!

Mission accomplished!

HUGE THANKS to all who participated in helping me complete this part of my winter term project. Many of you commented that it was fun - how cool is that? My work gets done and others have a good time!

In case this is your first look at this post, and you have no idea what I'm talking about - what was going on was a collaborative poetry effort similar to the children's game telephone (where one child whispers something in another's ear and that one passes it on, and you see at the end how different the saying comes out!). At each stage there was a line from a poem, but the rest of the poem was hidden, and I asked people to add the next line knowing only the prior one.

Twenty-four poems were created out of 10 "starter" lines that I put up.

Responses came from Norway and Micronesia and within the US from California, Michigan, Illinois and Massachusetts!

If you're interested in seeing the full results, check back in a few days. I'll put up two posts about this - one with all the poems and one with just a couple of poems with comments. As a teaser for now, here are two samples:

I have heard the mermaids singing each to each
And cannot rid the sound from my head
Like crashing waves upon a beach
What is done and what is said.


I am not a tree with my root in the soil,
Nor am I an ostrich with my head in the sand
But a derrick bursting with oil
Not to be held in one's hand.

No comments: