Tuesday, October 31, 2006

AproPOE










What better day than Halloween to post pictures of the graveyard where Edgar Allen Poe, that inimitable master of the macabre, is buried? HAPPY HALLOWEEN!











I've had a fascination with Poe ever since reading The Tell Tale Heart and The Cask of Amontillado in high school, seeing The Fall of the House of Usher and later memorizing The Raven . . .
"and my soul from out that shadow that lies floating on the floor shall be lifted . . . NEVERMORE."
I never imagined I would have a chance to visit Poe’s gravesite, but thanks to Dan and Rohaizad I had that chance this summer – thanks guys for providing reason to go to Baltimore (the US premier of your wonderful musical) and for the tour and time together the next day – great stuff! (So, how do you celebrate Halloween in Micronesia?)

1 comment:

Dan said...

In Micronesia bands of people - young and old - wander the streets of Kolonia begging for candy until late in the night. A few people wear costumes, but not very many. It is a pretty sad display and I stay away from home to avoid it all.